Hiding columns in a grid view

Description

When writing note you can reference a grid. I have a grid where every row has lots of properties (10 columns). I have a document where I would like to reference the same grid but in different context. Whenever I reference a grid in the document new view is created. I would like to be able to select which columns are visible separately for every view. This would make a document view clean and show only relevant data.

Now there are two choices

1. Every time you reference grid you show all the columns and make a document hard to read for columns which are on the far right position
  2. Duplicate a grid and make columns visible, but this leads to an issue where I must update same data multiple times and must not forget any of the copies.

Impact

Everybody who needs to create a document about slightly more complex data

Additional Context

I must create a document about the history of an it project and how much we’ve estimated the project would cost vs it’s real costs. I’ve created a grid where the first column is the project name and other columns represent different costs and cost estimations. Keeping multiple grids in sync when you discover new things as you go with writing a comparison is an error prone adventure.

To make myself clear I’m going to present trivial example. In the document example I’m going to use horizontal separator to show where are the document blocks present.

Grid ‘DATA’ contains

Name Height Age
John 175 30
Bob 180 35
Kate 170 40

Since every reference to the grid from the document creates new view of the data, I have two views. First one ‘HEIGHT’ and second ‘AGE’.

Let’s assume I have a document like this

We’ve talked with 3 people.

HEIGHT

Name Height Age
John 175 30
Bob 180 35
Kate 170 40

The average height is 175

Name Height Age
John 175 30
Bob 180 35
Kate 170 40

The average age is 35

Now if I hide an ‘Age’ column in the ‘HEIGHT’ view it becomes hidden in the ‘DATA’ and ‘AGE’ views. So my document becomes

We’ve talked with 3 people.

HEIGHT

Name Height
John 175
Bob 180
Kate 170

The average height is 175

Name Height
John 175
Bob 180
Kate 170

The average age is 35